Sunday, June 8, 2014

Diaspora


In the Bible, there is this idea that one day God will gather all of his scattered people together in one place where they belong forever. When Israel was captured by Babylon and the Jews were taken away in exile, that began what is called the "Diaspora" which is essentially the scattering of a people all over the Earth. It was considered a great tragedy that the people of God should be so separated from each other, and so displaced all over the planet. And from Moses, to the Prophets, to Jesus himself, the great gathering of God's people has been a deeply held hope. 

I'm telling this story because there have been many big changes in our office in the past couple of months. Three of our year long volunteers finished their terms and returned to the U.S. That's been tough because these people, including my boss and room mate, were dearly loved by us and were some of my closest friends here. So we have been adapting to the changes in our office and in work responsibilities. 

Meanwhile, I've been hearing about all sorts of cool things my friends and family back home are up to. Many of them are leaving Chico for their dream jobs, or to be with loved ones, some are getting married, some are staying put. And all that is cool! I'm glad you guys are all doing cool stuff. But boy it's been sad thinking that my favorite people are scattered all over the state and the country and the world. I mean, I'm out here missing weddings and barbecues and all sorts of good times. And that's a bummer.

I've been really blessed in the people department. We have dinners and weddings out here too (Not so much barbecues though. Beef's not so big here.) Wherever I've been in life, God has given me cool folks to be with. As a result, I have people I love alllll over the place. From Asia to the middle east, from Cincinnati to San Francisco, nor cal to so cal. I was looking over the list of folks who have donated money for me to be here yesterday, and I have a lot of generous people who care about me and who care about the poor! I am a rich man! And I have no reason to believe that God will stop the flow of good people into my life.

All that being said, mostly I've been wishing lately that all the people I love were in one place. 

But hey, you know what? I get to be out here working with awesome people, and I can talk to my loved ones whenever I want. That's pretty great. And what's even better, is that God is using us to get these girls back home to the people they love and the people who love them. God is going into those dark places and gathering up those girls and putting em back where they belong. And some of them are even helping us find and rescue other girls who need to go back home. It's an honor and a privilege to be here doing this, and I love doing it.

So I guess this is as good a time as any to tell you this. My office offered me the opportunity to extend my position here by another year, and I accepted. I'll come home in September for a couple months and then I'll come back out to South Asia for another year. There are a number of reasons why I made this decision. But ultimately it's because I love and believe in the work we get to do out here, I think God has put me in this place to contribute what I can while I'm here, and I think that I am getting closer to him by being here. Being away from home is awful, and I can't wait to come back for a bit. But if by being scattered for a time I can help some kids go home for good? Well, I'll take that.

Until then, I'll look forward to the day when we're all back where we belong together.

"And when all these things come upon you, the blessing and the curse, which I have set before you, and you call them to mind among all the nations where the Lord your God has driven you, and return to the Lord your God, you and your children, and obey his voice in all that I command you today, with all your heart and with all your soul, then the Lord your God will restore your fortunes and have mercy on you, and he will gather you again from all the peoples where the Lord your God has scattered you. If your outcasts are in the uttermost parts of heaven, from there the Lord your God will gather you, and from there he will take you."
- Deuteronomy 30:1-4

Take care out there everybody.

-Greg

1 comment:

  1. Greg, it will be so good to see you in September but I also want to say thank you for being willing to keep contributing where you are and telling yourself a true story about the kind of difficult it is.
    Peace,
    Zoe

    ReplyDelete